Spend a Day in Walker, MN: Your Summer Itinerary
Walker, MN is full of activities for everyone to enjoy. The beautiful area offers fishing, hiking, biking, and unique shopping and dining experiences. Also, the area hosts lots of exciting events year-round that would make a great addition to your day trip.
With so many activities and things to do, how do you decide how to spend your time if you are taking a day trip to the area this summer? We’ve created some example itineraries to make planning your day trip to Walker, MN a breeze!
Summer Day Itinerary: Families
Leech Lake is known as the perfect Minnesota family vacation destination. Therefore, a summer day trip to the area will not disappoint for quality family time and unforgettable adventures. Some ideas for how to spend a summer day with the family in Leech Lake include:
- Exploring the trails of the numerous state and national forests in the area.
- Catch a live family entertainment show at the Walker Bay Theater.
- Take the kids fishing on Leech Lake.
- Spend the day relaxing and building sand castles on the sandy shores of Leech Lake.
- Book a 2-3 hour sailing charter on “Knota Lotta” with Sailing Daze.
- Visit the Cass County Museum and Circle of Time to learn about the area’s rich history.
- Visit the unique shops in downtown Walker.
- Have a family lunch or dinner at one of the local dining establishments.
Summer Day Itinerary: Friends
Taking a summer trip with friends is a way to create lasting memories and stories that will be shared for years. Leech Lake is the perfect destination to bond with friends, regardless of the adventure type you seek. Ideas for how to spend your friends day in Walker include:
- A 3-4 self-guided canoe expedition through the Chippewa National Forest.
- Hike or bike the numerous nearby trails in the Minnesota Northwoods.
- Spend the day golfing under the crystal blue Minnesota sky at the area’s championship golf course.
- Rent a boat or jet skis to enjoy the breeze in your hair while relaxing on the 112,000 acre Leech Lake.
- Try water skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, or other top water sports on Leech Lake.
- Enjoy the thrill of casting a line to try to catch walleye, northern pike, muskie, bass, panfish, or other fish species on Leech Lake.
- Spend the day visiting the unique shops or antique galleries in Walker.
- Take a winery tour.
- Enjoy a special lunch or dinner at the range of dining options to satisfy your cravings.
Summer Day Itinerary: Solo Travelers
Sometimes a solo getaway is needed to rest and recharge from the hustle and bustle of a busy schedule. A day trip to Leech Lake can be the perfect place to relax and enjoy the things you love to do or try a new adventure. Some ideas for summer activities to do while visiting Walker, MN for the day include:
- Take a sailing lesson to learn the ropes of sailing on Leech Lake.
- Fish the day away with some of the best fishing in the Northland at Leech Lake to try and lure in that trophy fish.
- Take advantage of the area’s premier golf courses.
- Go on a birding hike through the Chippewa National Forest.
- Enjoy the sights and sounds of nature with a hike or bike ride on the trails at the area’s many state and national forests.
- Try your luck at the slots or gaming tables at Northern Lights Casino & Hotel.
Special Events to Make Part of a Summer Day Trip to Walker, MN
The Spring Bike Fling on June 24, 2023
Bike enthusiasts will enjoy this fun bike race during their visit to Walker. The bike race kicks off at 10:00 am at the Walker City Parks, and you can choose three different Hack and Back trips, a 24-mile or 48-mile round trip, or a 36-mile trip consisting of a combination of the first two. You can celebrate completing your biking adventure by ending the day at the After Party at Portage Brewing for live music and drink specials.
Fourth of July Celebration
Celebrate the holiday with the Walker community by spending the day in Leech Lake. From watching the 4th of July parade to partaking in games in the park to being wowed by the firework spectacular, you are sure to enjoy yourself at this annual event.
Let Us Help Plan Your Summer Trip to Leech Lake
Are you ready to take on your next adventure at Leech Lake but need help figuring out where to begin? Our friendly team is here to serve as a resource for planning the perfect family, friends, or solo trip to the area. Contact us to find out about upcoming events and a list of things to do based on your interests during your visit to Leech Lake.