BF Nelson built a sawmill at the swimming beach and park area in 19006. The mill was in use until 1922. The slab burner was dismantled and salvaged for the WWII effort, leaving the circular cement base on the shore. A local businessman salvaged the bricks for a café and rooming house. That building still… More Info
Category: "Member of the week"
Stone Woman Herbals – New Chamber Member Natural Health and Wellness for the Mind, Body and Soul. We are family owned and take pride in offering healthy choices to the community. We offer a wide range of products including: Supplements, Essential Oils, Teas, personal Care, Household Cleaning, Incense, Snacks, Gifts and more! We also offer… More Info
Our first library was organized in1900. By 1907 a traveling library was sent by train from the Minnesota State Public Library Commission and was housed in Crow’s Drug Store. In 1907 Walker applied for a grant from Andrew Carnegie. The Library was built in 1911 and we were the smallest community in the US to… More Info
What business was located at the Village Square site? Built in 1896, the Pameda/Patrick Henry Hotel was one of the first hotels built in Walker. J.R. Fuller opened the DX Service Station in 1933. Orville Ellis purchased the building in 1945 and opened the Texaco Service station. His son Newell opened the Village Square restaurant,… More Info
On May 22nd, WHA Community Ed and the Walker Area Chamber of Commerce collaborated to host a Bikeable Community Workshop. Walker was chosen as one of eight communities to host a workshop this year, workshops have been going on in the state since 2011. Representatives from BikeMN, The Department of Health and MnDOT led the… More Info